The Stinger

It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Back to Article
Back to Article

It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

On January 23rd, 2019, the country of Venezuela changed forever. Juan Guaidó, leader of Social-Democratic party Popular Will, declared himself the interim president of Venezuela. America, the European Union, Colombia, and countless other countries recognized Guaidó as the new president. However, despite the support of Venezuela’s people for Guaidó; Nicolás Máduro, the socialist dictator of Venezuela, has gained the support of China, Russia, Iran, and nearly a dozen other countries. Protests have erupted across the country and hundreds of thousands have taken to the streets to cry out against their oppression. Venezuela has begun its final fight for freedom.

Yet, looking at my home country, I can’t help but feel a sense of uncertainty wash over me. Trump’s support for a democratic rule in Venezuela is undoubtedly the catalyst we needed for change, but the question stands: How much are we willing to give for freedom? With superpowers such as America and Russia on opposing sides, a political gambit for the South American country could easily turn into a catastrophe; a power struggle that will lead to a rise in casualties from violent protests the country has already spent years enduring. Trump has not ruled out military intervention in Venezuela and the idea of a proxy war in Venezuela is no longer an impossible scenario.

This is not the first time the country has attempted to out Máduro by force with the 2017 Caracas helicopter incident, in which rebels hurled grenades at the Supreme Tribunal of Justice building which resulted in the El Junquito raid that killed rebel leader Óscar Peréz. The Venezuelan government was then met with accusations of extrajudicial executions. Peréz is just one of the dozens of names of opposition leaders that Máduro murdered. Not to mention the humanitarian aid from foreign powers that should-be inside Venezuela’s borders by now, but ended up being turned away by the government. Máduro’s refusal to compromise, even for his own people, has led to the deaths of hundreds.

So, the question stands: Do we need humanitarian aid or troops? Legislation or rebellion? Violence or pacifism?

The answer lies within our own country: America. The people in Venezuela are already fighting their battles, many uphill ones at that, so perhaps it’s time we answer their call to action. Trump has already declared his support for Guaidó and made promise to intervene, politically or otherwise, if Venezuela is unable to sort itself out soon. There are nearly half a million Venezuelans in America today and we have yet to really let our voices be heard. So many of us still have family in the country, often suffering or seeking a way out, and I find that up until Guaidó’s entrance, we simply shrugged our shoulders and went “What can we do?”

It’s time we stop asking questions and start giving answers. Write to Congress, the president, whoever you can to let your voice be heard. Rally in the streets and spread your message that you need your homeland free, because Venezuela deserves better than a far-left dictator to choke such a beautiful country to death. Tell your story to your coworkers, your friends, everyone around you to let them know that your struggle is universal in the Venezuelan people. Educate those unaware and pique the interest of those uncaring, it’ll take more than just us to make a change. Until we have rallied in the streets and are at Máduro’s doorstep, there will be no change in Venezuela. It’s not until we have convinced our nations leaders to step in and intervene that we will witness any more progress.

About the Writer
Hugo Vizcaya-Zingg, Copy-Editor

Hugo Vizcaya-Zingg is a Junior at RHS and the Copy-Editor for the 2018-2019 Stinger Staff.

His Zodiac sign is Virgo, he has an unhealthy obsession...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela”

1. Josefa de Montero on February 22nd, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks so much Hugo and the Rockwall high school newspaper! For the opportunity to write and publish about the Venezuela’s polital issue! Is a great summary about it!

2. Holland Steenhuysen on February 22nd, 2019 9:41 pm

Im so proud of you!! I was very confused on the subject but this cleared it up! God truly has nothing on you

3. María esperanza urdaneta sandoval on February 22nd, 2019 10:52 pm

Excelente. Muy buena redacción y secuencia de la realidad, felicidades

4. José Vizcaya on February 23rd, 2019 5:37 am

Buen artículo de prensa, excelente narrativa del historial de hechos de pasado, presente, futuro, y acontecimientos políticos internos dentro de Venezuela, cómo la política exterior que está ejerciendo el gobierno de usa, a través de sanciones económicas, a funcionarios corruptos, y violadores de los derechos humanos, en Venezuela y también imputados por cortés federales de usa por narcotráfico, felicitaciones por informas a la comunidad del condado de rockwall, Texas y Venezuela está en los ojos del mundo porque es un hecho inédito lo que está pasando lamentablemente, ya que el gobierno de maduro que ha manejado tantos recursos económicos, utiliza las políticas comunistas castristas del hambre como arma muy peligrosa de control social, felicitaciones al escritor por buen artículo y esperamos escribas más. Dios lo bendiga.

5. Patricia Zingg on March 20th, 2019 11:21 am

Hugo,
    I have read this article dozens of times and every opportunity my pride grows. As American, Venezuelan and mom my heart beat harder and stronger with your words. You are a gifted young man with a super brite future.
    Thank you for taking your time and talents to write this article in Venezuela’s darkest history chapter and raise your voice for justice. Thank you for been proud of your Hispanic heritage. Thank you for been you.
    Waiting for the second part of this amazing journey called “It’s time to talk about Venezuela”.
    Love,
    Mamma.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Features

Winter Formal Clear Up

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Features

Rockwall Takes on the Block

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Jacket Nation

A Goodbye Letter from your Graduating Editor-in-Chief

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

News

An Epidemic of Fatherlessness

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Opinions

What is destroying the desire to read?

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Entertainment

This Year’s Oscar Predictions

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Opinions

Should students be required to take core classes?

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Opinions

Gun Violence in America: The Desensitization of a Generation

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Opinions

Dealing with Loss: A Teenager’s Perspective

• It’s Time We Talk About Venezuela

Opinions

Changes in Dress Code: Two Sides of the Same Story