The Stinger

The Adult Swarm

Above the forty-yard-line sits a crowd of Rockwall High School’s biggest fans. With cowbells in one hand and megaphones in the other, they can not be missed because right underneath their seating section hangs a sign labeled, “The Adult Swarm.” Some are the parents of Rockwall High school students, some are grandparents, and some are siblings of Rockwall students and future Yellowjackets themselves.

Before every home game this crowd can be found tailgating in the Aquatic Center parking lot. Rows of pullout tables are piled high with food, underneath canopies and lined with fold-up chairs. To set the pre-game mood, music is blared and an RHS flag soars above these beloved fans.

The potluck begins every Friday around 4:30 PM and ends when the group makes their way into the stadium, which is typically around 6:30 PM, to claim their spot in the stands above the forty-yard-line.

They sit together at the forty during home games because from that view in the upper deck, they can see the entire field clearly and can stand the entire game. Usually the males of the “Adult Swarm” will grab their stadium chairs and blankets and head inside the stadium to reserve their section, while the females of the “Adult Swarm” will stick around to neatly put up the potluck.

However, the party does not end there. Whether we win or lose, this dedicated group of Yellowjackets is lined up against the gates following the game to cheer on the football team as they make their way from the locker room to the buses, and then back out to the parking lot to finish the night off with potluck leftovers.

Their school spirit travels all the way to away games too. Instead of a mass potluck, these fans will pick a restaurant near the stadium and meet there before they make their way to the stadium to claim their spot on, of course, the fifty yard line.

“It’s important for us to attend the games to show our full support, not only for our boys putting it all on the line , but to support all that are involved in making Friday Night Lights an experience,” exclaimed Joni Green, mother of Varsity football player Logan Green and member of the Adult Swarm.

The Student Swarm definitely has some competition when it comes to whose the loudest in the stands.

“I wouldn’t say we are louder [than Rockwall’s Student Swarm], but for old people we definitely can hold our own and have equal enthusiasm,” said Teri Jo Noble, a member of  the Adult Swarm and designated ‘football aunt’.

The Adult Swarm welcomes any families to join them! Just bring a dish to share at the tailgate and join them in the stands! “We welcome more voices to be loud and proud,” adds Teri Jo Noble.

The next time you head to a Rockwall High School football game look for the Rockwall flag soaring above the Aquatic center parking lot and go say hi! The Adult Swarm is centered around family and friendship. So the more the merrier!

“We are Family… we are the Adult Swarm!”  (Joni Green)

About the Writer
Gabi Noble, Editor-in-Chief

Gabi Noble is the Editor-in-Chief for the 2018-2019 Stinger Staff. She is a RHS Senior and is involved in National Honor Society and National Technical Honor Society.

Outside of school she enjoys binge watching Netflix series, eating way too much Chick-fil-a, and attending football games. Her favorite color is blue, over-sized t-shirts are her weakness, and her go to movie is The Princess Diaries.

Gabi plans to attend college next fall and hopes to study journalism.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The Adult Swarm”

1. Cathi Chicoine on October 12th, 2018 11:43 am

What an Awesome Article!! These are some of the most wonderful people I could have ever had the chance to meet!! Go Jackets!!! 🐝. JFND

2. Tim Robinson on October 12th, 2018 1:41 pm

Great article! Proud to be part of your family!!!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Adult Swarm

Entertainment

Overtime With Brette Thorton & Avery McCrillis

• The Adult Swarm

Entertainment

Twirling to the Top

• The Adult Swarm

Clubs and Organizations

All About Reasonable Faith

• The Adult Swarm

Jacket Nation

Sample’s Story: Get to Know the Man in Charge

• The Adult Swarm

Entertainment

HOMECOMING INFORMATION

• The Adult Swarm

Entertainment

Overtime with Jaxon Smith

• The Adult Swarm

Features

Meet Mr. Terry!

• The Adult Swarm

Features

Meet Officer Gaines!

• The Adult Swarm

Features

Meet Mr. Chandler!

• The Adult Swarm

Jacket Nation

A Goodbye Letter from your Graduating Editor-in-Chief