The Stinger

Arena scheduling is back!

We’re approaching the end of the year, and with that Rockwall students are faced with future course choices. If you remember a couple of weeks ago, you filled out a sheet consisting of the next four core classes you’d want to take plus a handful electives and “second choices,” classes that would replace the electives you wanted that may be full.

Well, now the sheets have been reviewed by the counselors and the classes for next year have been set up, allowing arena scheduling to begin!

For those unfamiliar with the term “arena scheduling” I offer this:  According to the Rockwall website, arena scheduling is defined as “students being able to create their own schedule with options provided by the Rockwall curriculum, similar to college.”

In other words, this means YOU will be able to log into skyward and choose where you want classes to go, so long as the block scheduling permits it.

You will be able to customize what periods go where, for example English first and Physics fifth. However, you will not be able to choose your teacher or your lunch.

This allows us to have more customization and control over how our classes work. Since we have block scheduling next year, we will be having extended class periods and alternating days (evens & odds,) with a consistent 45-minute 1st & 8th period everyday. So, if you struggle in Geometry and needed to see the teacher everyday, you could request that class for 1st or 8th period.

However, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, girl’s volleyball will be 1st period and band will be double-blocked. There are several exemptions, so please see the teacher for that class or your counselor for more information.

Arena scheduling will have a preview weekend for current 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th graders on the following dates:

April 7-8 (Current 11th & 10th Graders)
April 21-22 (Current 9th & 8th Graders)

Below are the following dates for when arena scheduling is actually open to arrange schedules:

April 9-11 (Current 11th Graders)
April 11-13 (Current 10th Graders)
April 23-25 (Current 9th Graders)
April 25-27 (Current 8th Graders)

Note that during this time period you will NOT be able to request or make schedule changes; that will be open during May 7-31.

If you do not complete your schedule in time, don’t worry! The RHS counselors will automatically make one for you.

With arena scheduling only in its second year on campus along with the upcoming modified block and the opening of the career center, there are certainly a lot of changes taking place.

For more information, you can visit the school’s website.

JFND!

About the Writer
Hugo Vizcaya-Zingg, Copy-Editor

Hugo Vizcaya-Zingg is a Junior at RHS and the Copy-Editor for the 2018-2019 Stinger Staff.

His Zodiac sign is Virgo, he has an unhealthy obsession with the Myer-Briggs Personality Indicator, and loves the band Catfish & The Bottlemen. He’s planning on studying Journalism & English at Emerson University. He’s from Venezuela but wishes he was born in the Mariana Trench, and his favorite authors are Marie Lu and Robert Repino.