Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Should students be required to take core classes?

In the society we have today that has such a vast variety of careers that can be chosen, one must ask: What am I going to do with my life?

Now, anybody can follow any career path they want, whether it be a teacher, professor, fast food manager, or garbage collector. There are no limits to what humanity can do.

So why is it that the youth in the high schools of America have such a hard time choosing their careers?

While many may not know what they want to do in the future, there exists a large number of underclassmen who already have chosen their career math, or at least the field they wish to pursue.

This brings forth the immediacy of my question:  Why are all four core classes required for all students?

Let’s begin with history.

Although learning history can help us to make sure we don’t make the same mistakes as our predecessors, how many of us will use this knowledge on a daily basis? Unless you plan to be a historian, a politician, or someone along those lines, history isn’t all that necessary. It can be a great thing to learn of the past mistakes and how our nation was founded, but when it comes down to it, hardly any of us are going to need to know how or when the Byzantine empire fell.

So why is history a required course in high school?

Next up we have the wondrous mathematics. Ahh, Algebra, what would we do without you? Unless you intend to be a chemist, engineer, or something along those lines, you’ll just live your life like normal. As soon as you get to Algebra 1 in school, it really isn’t all that necessary for most Americans. The general population doesn’t require math beyond Algebra and it is wasting our time and money to provide it throughout high school.

Third we have the sciences: blowing stuff up and calculating how much force it would take to run through the wall and out of your science class.. Chemists, pharmacists, doctors, etc. would use biology, anatomy, and chemistry on a daily basis so this would be great if you were going into those fields. But what about the rest of us? The closest thing to the sciences that one would use daily is how to measure for cooking, and that falls more into culinary arts than sciences anyways.

Last but not least, English Language Arts. Preparing to be a politician, lawyer, author, or essayist? No? Oh well then why are you in this class? Oh it’s required. I see. Well let’s find out why. Most people don’t intend to study in literary arts in college due to the career paths being rigorous and for the most part, very taxing. However, English Language Arts is still required. Why should I have to write my 5 billionth essay if I’m going to be a chemist? Of the four  core classes, ELA is probably the most common but still shouldn’t be required to graduate High School.

Now that we’ve examined the core classes, let’s find a solution to our problem. When a student gets into high school, they should be free to test our their passions. Be able to experiment with their classes so that they can find their career path if they don’t already have one. Bouncing core classes and not having them required could help tremendously with that.

Myself personally, I have already chosen my career path and I think I speak for the rest of the 40% when I say that my other core classes are hindering me. When weighed down with these classes, it can be hard to focus and as the stress builds up, you become distracted from your primary focus.

Drowning in homework and pulling your hair out from the stress of your next tests takes a toll on a person until they shut down. Now for the simple solution to what shouldn’t be that complicated of a problem.

First of all, only one core class should be required once you have found your career path. Freshman and sophomores should be able to change their career path but as soon as you get to Junior year, you stay with what you’ve chosen.

This would lower stress levels and allow students to focus on their passion, preparing them for college.

Next we should remove the required fine arts and physical education credits. They do nothing to prepare students for college and need to be removed to free up more relevant classes for students.

Finally, give students more free time such as open period or just more time off. Don’t force them to fill all their classes, give them time to work on what they want and to relax. It can help tremendously and increase student productivity.

Comment below to tell us what you think about the state’s course requirements.