Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Underneath the stadium lights on a Friday night, you will find him roaming the sidelines with the team. He is easily visible from the stands and even more recognizable from the student section. He’s not easily missed, as he holds a football in one arm and uses the other to pump up the crowd. At first sight, he may come across as the high school football team’s average “ballboy,” when in reality Scott Wendt is so much more than that.

Scott is a 2009 Rockwall High School graduate who has been working with Rockwall football teams since he started in 7th grade Williams Middle School. In the nearly 15 years since, he has become a fixture at Rockwall home games. 

On Friday nights Scott’s primary responsibility is to keep track of extra footballs on the sidelines and to throw them to the officials when the Jackets are on offense. When he’s able, Scott attends practices too where he helps coaches swap out balls when they’re running plays and snaps footballs to the quarterbacks.

When asked what his favorite part of working with the football team is, Wendt replied, “I like working with the coaches helping fire up everyone during the game.”

When he’s not working with the team, Scott is either working part time at Tom Thumb or participating in a variety of Special Olympic sports such as: swimming, bowling, flag football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, softball, track, and bocce, winning multiple medals in each of them.

“One of my favorites [medals] would be the medal for winning soccer with the FC Dallas Spec Olympics team. Others were the medals I won when I participated in the World Aquatics Swim Meet in San Juan, Puerto Rico competing against athletes from all over the world [33 countries participated].”

Scott’s success has lead to his being named the Special Olympics Area and State of Texas Adult Athlete-of-the-Year in 2015.

Recently, Scott represented the Special Olympics by traveling to Austin and Washington, DC to meet with Legislators and lobby for funding.

He also ran a leg of the Olympic Torch when it came through Dallas, and participated in the Law Enforcement Torch Run with Texas Rangers’ Elvis Andrus at The Ballpark in Arlington.

Whether he’s helping at Wilkerson Sanders, competing in Special Olympics, or lobbying for causes dear to him and his friends, there’s no denying that Scott is one of Rockwall High School’s most proud alumni.

Scott Wendt is the very embodiment of the Rockwall Yellowjacket spirit. His undying loyalty and unwavering passion define the true meaning of “Jacket Fight Never Dies.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Rockwall’s Number One Fan”

1. Cathi Chicoine on October 20th, 2017 8:58 pm

Fantastic Article!!!!

[Reply]

2. Rick Glover on October 21st, 2017 6:55 pm

New Scott and his family when he was young. He was very charismatic and happy then. Never let his disability affect his joy and happiness. We all could learn something from Scott

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Features

Q&A with Rockwall Volleyball Coach Damon Wilson

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Jacket Nation

Advisory Period: Is it really worth it?

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Jacket Nation

One Link, One Life: A Day of Remembrance

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Jacket Nation

New year, new staff!

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Jacket Nation

Jacket Nation’s success beyond the classroom

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Jacket Nation

Rockwall rolls out first all-male volleyball team

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Jacket Nation

Meet the Jacket Nation

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Jacket Buzz

How to stay sane over the holidays

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Features

• Rockwall’s Number One Fan

Clubs and Organizations

Project LIFE helps special needs students at RHS secure jobs