Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Jacket Nation’s success beyond the classroom

Rockwall High School isn’t just known for their academic success in the confines of the school building, but the Yellowjackets are racking up accolades beyond the classroom. Here’s a look at the latest success stories:

Boy’s Golf

The boys golf team finished up their district tournament yesterday and captured the district championship for the 6th consecutive year.

Individually, Matthew Watkins, who finished second place overall, was named 1st team all-district and outstanding freshman. Jake Clem was also named 1st team all-district and took home the outstanding sophomore award. Other Jackets receiving 1st team all-district honors are Will Horn, Jake Clem, Trey Watkins, and Steven Clements.

Zack Amacher and Griffin Hass eared 2nd Team All District honors.

The boys will compete in the regional tournament in Waco on April 24-25.

Girl’s Golf

The Lady Jackets are also district champions! Sydney Garber led the Lady Jackets as she won the individual district championship.  It was a great effort by the ladies and this makes our 5th consecutive District Championship.  Shelby Allen also advanced as the 2nd individual regional qualifier by shooting 88-79.

The Lady Jackets will play next at Waco in the Regional Tournament on April 25-26.

Stingerettes

The Rockwall High School Stingerette Officers and Show Stoppers attended Nationals competition where they were awarded the Gussie Nell Davis outstanding team award. Junior Brooke Peterson won 1st runner up soloist in the studio private division, Sophmore Jessi Schmitt Won Best Soloist in the studio private division, junior Tatum Graham won 2nd runner up in Public division, and Senior Cameron Ballenger won 4th runner up in solo public division.

The Stingerette Show Stoppers won one of just thred “WOW” awards for their contemporary routine.  The officers won National Champions in the Open Category, National Champions in the Contemporary category,  National Champions in the Modern category, and first runner up in the jazz category.

The Stingerette Show Stoppers won National Champions in the open category, National Champions in the pom category, First Runner Up in the Lyrical category, and first runner up in the Contemporary category.  The Stingerette Officers also received Best of the Best team coming in 3rd in the overall competition across all categories.  Fantastic job Stingerette Officers and Show Stoppers.

Bass Fishing

Yes, you read that correctly. Rockwall has a Bass Fishing team. Over the weekend, three teams qualified for the Central Regional Championship to be held at Lake Palestine on April 22nd.  The team of Nolan Yeager and Will Riley are currently ranked 17th, Cole Hill and Matthew Wilcox 24th and Adam Villarreal 68th in the region out of 168 teams.  These young men have put in countless hours on the lake and are fishing for the opportunity to compete in the State Championships on May 20-21 on Lake Ray Roberts.

Boy’s Volleyball

Since we published our story about the first Rockwall High School boy’s volleyball team, they’ve since opened their inaugural season, competing in the only high school league in Texas.

The Jackets dropped their first 5 matches to more experienced teams from Prosper, Red Oak, Allen, and Jesuit, but according to coach Travis Ferguson, “It was a blast.”

Their first match win came on Saturday in an exciting three game match with Uplift Prep.  The win was punctuated by two monster kills by Colton McKnight to finish the match.

Speech and Debate hosts Project Slam

On Thursday night, April 6th, the Rockwall High School Speech and Debate Team sponsored its annual Slam Poetry and Rap contest, “Project Slam”.

After careful deliberation, the judges crowned RHS Senior, Sarah Prichard as Queen of Slam Poetry and Senior, Tevin Freeman as King of Rap.​

If you have any success stories you would like to add please email us at [email protected].