Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Why no one wins in the current political climate

Catherine Coronado, Editor-in-Chief

With every word publically uttered about politics, a Twitter war starts. Whether it’s Meryl Streep, the CIA, Tomi Lahren, or president-elect Trump himself who does it, speaking out means that someone with a different opinion will want to silence you.

In an age of social media and strong political opinions, places like Twitter and Tumblr are the perfect place to spout off your opinions to strangers with no obvious consequences. But when you look into the long threads of arguments and disputes, one conclusion is distinctly clear. When you’re brave enough to speak up for what you believe in, you cannot win.

Ad Hominem, an argument created by attacking the opposing side, is one of the most commonly seen fallacies in discussions. Even worse, people see it as a viable argument. It’s easy for people to believe that they’ve won the argument when they shut up the opposing sides with cries of “Homophobic!” “Racist!” “Feminazi!” or “Snowflake!” These statements cause many to view the opposing party through stereotypes that most likely don’t fit. These types of arguments have been seen from the depths of hundred-reply tweets up to statements made by literal polititians, and need to stop. When so many divides are clear, both sides need to focus more on the actual problems facing our country than the names that they could potentially call the other side.

It seems that there is no gray area when it comes to politics anymore. If you concede and admit that one party has a good idea, you’re most likely going to be bashed by others for supporting their enemy. This, in turn, is causing a huge divide in our country, one that seems to have no way to repair if we continue on in the way we have been.

Much of this can be attributed to extremely biased media. If you read Buzzfeed, you’re more likely to see mainly liberal perspectives on the news, while if you read Fox news you’re most likely to have a conservative standpoint. When our news is so biased that you’re probably going to see two drastically different news stories, how can you know what to believe? In addition, how can one stay informed when every news story seems to have a different take on the truth? More importantly, how can one form a respectable opinion when everyone wants you to think a certain way?

As teenagers, it’s hard to shut up and be content with what’s going on when so much of our future is up in the air after the most recent election. Terrorist attacks have become a common news story, Russia has found a place as both a feared entity and a supposed reliable ally, the Affordable Care Act is close to being repealed, and the Supreme Court is in need of new judges. As soon-to-be voters, it is the perfect time to start forming opinions.

Now is not the time to be silenced for fear of what others may think. Now is not the time to keep quiet and be content. Now is the time to challenge ideas, and to finally do what those motivational pictures that littered your elementary school classroom said: stand up for what you believe in, even if you’re standing alone.

In today’s political climate, you clearly cannot come out on top, but being brave and speaking out is as close as you can get.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Why no one wins in the current political climate”

1. Jimmy Coronado on January 18th, 2017 12:46 pm

Wow! Great article Cat! This wasn’t written by a teenager; this was written by an intelligent woman!

[Reply]

2. angela coronado on January 18th, 2017 1:26 pm

Good thoughts. And well said. And yes,its going to be you young ones coming up,that will have such a influence on ths country. And God bless the USA. and keep her strong. BUT THE media to me seems to always keep hate and people in an uproar. Such different opinions, how do you know whats what in politics. Like you said, its time to ask questions, speak up. Good article.

[Reply]

3. Lenora on January 18th, 2017 7:10 pm

On point!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Why no one wins in the current political climate

Opinions

Changes in Dress Code: Two Sides of the Same Story

Opinions

Hollywood: Running Out of Water and Ideas

Opinions

Sex-Ed-itorial

Staff Editorials

Using disabilities as insults is not funny

News

I Stand With Standing Rock

Opinions

Jacket Feast through the eyes of an outlier

Jacket Buzz

Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

An Open Letter to Freshmen

Opinions

Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody Clean Up

Opinions

An Open Letter to Female Students