Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Netflix Hidden Gems

Catherine Coronado, Editor-in-Chief

After a short lived fall in sales, Netflix is back and better than ever. Here’s some of the most underrated shows and movies that the (arguably) best streaming platform has to offer right now.

1. Haters Back Off!

Haters Back Off tells the tale of Miranda Sings, the YouTube icon that we all love to hate. If you can handle really odd humor and slightly intolerable characters, this show is for you. You may shiver at the thought of watching an entire season of this honestly weird show, but it’s only 8 episodes! The last episode makes it all worth it, I promise.

2. Naomi & Ely’s No Kiss List

Naomi and Ely are best friends. Naomi is very straight, and Ely is very gay. Together, they make a list of every person they aren’t allowed to kiss, lest they fall for the same person and get into a fight. Regardless, they do fall for the same guy, and drama ensues. Watch this with your best friend and go on an emotional roller coaster with them.

3. iZombie

Although iZombie is on the CW, it’s still way too underrated and definitely deserves a spot on this list. Liv Moore (ironically named) is a newly turned zombie. In this world, eating the brains of the victims gives you flashes of their memories, so, naturally, Liv decides to become a medical examiner and solve crimes. This is a really good twist on the typical police procedural, and will definitely leave you entertained.

4. Ip Man

If subtitles are dissuading when you’re deciding what movie to watch, give Ip Man another chance. This martial arts movie has the perfect mix of plot, interesting characters, and amazing fight scenes, and is perfect to watch in a group, there’s something for everyone. Ip Man tells the story of Master Ip, a wing chun master whose life is threatened when Japanese soldiers take over his town. You’ll be hooked by the first fight scene, guaranteed.

5. Between

What happens when all of the citizens over 22 contract a mysterious sickness and die? Between tells the story of Pretty Lake, a town where just this occurs. Between stars Jenette McCurdy as Wiley, a teenage mother who tries to understand the sickness, which she believes to be a government conspiracy. This show is perfect for a weekend binge watch, especially if you enjoy mystery.

6. Clue

Speaking of mystery, the 1985 film Clue is cruelly pushed to the side in favor of more conventional, John Hughes films (*cough* The Breakfast Club *cough*). Clue tells the story of the classic board game of the same name, in a timeless, hilarious film. Not sold? The movie stars Tim Curry ( the pop culture icon who played Dr. Frank-N-Furter in the original Rocky Horror Picture Show) as the butler, and he definitely steals the show.

Although there may be other hidden gems on Netflix, these are the few that I love watching. Your picks didn’t make the list? Leave a comment to let us know what you think is a hidden gem.