The Stinger

The Best of Both Worlds

Gabi Noble, Sports Editor

The Rockwall Lady Jacket Varsity Volleyball team is home to 13 dedicated, hard working student athletes that have kicked the season off with wins in 11-8 overall and 1-0 in district. Besides putting in work on the court, these Rockwall Lady Jackets are involved in many school activities.

Kaylee Chuang, Sr. defensive specialist, not only spends her Friday nights on the court, but on the football field performing with the Rockwall Orange Wave Band.

From taking piano lessons in kindergarten to teaching her self to play the guitar and ukulele, Kaylee has been in love with the aspect of music. Kaylee is a part of the RHS Symphonic Band where she has been playing the saxophone since her freshman year.

As a varsity volleyball player and band member, Kaylee plays in her volleyball games Friday nights at 6:30, then travels to the football stadium where the team is playing in time for the halftime performance.

“It’s a little stressful but it works out well,” Chuang said.

volleyball

Chuang’s musical background goes beyond high school band. She is a part of her church’s Leadership Training in Christ program where she is in the high school choir group and selective group called the ‘Angels.’

Each year, these groups are taken to the Hyatt Regency in Dallas where they compete against other churches for a spot to preform in their yearly Easter Service.

“Last year we got called back to go to the Easter service!” exclaimed Kaylee.

With all the practices Kaylee attends for volleyball and band, some days she is at RHS from 6:45 am to 6:30 pm. This translates to a staggering 12 hours at school alone, not mentioning the homework load she receives from taking both AP and Pre-AP courses.

“They’re both really helpful,” said Chuang about her Coach and Band Director with managing her hectic schedule.

Being both a student athlete and talented musician requires a lot of hard work and effort, especially with multiple events in one week, or in Kaylee’s case, one evening. However, her love for band and volleyball and support from her teammates and section makes it worth it in the end.

“Everyone’s super supportive about it and everyone helps me a lot, it’s really nice.”

About the Writer
Gabi Noble, Editor-in-Chief
Gabi Noble is the Editor-in-Chief for the 2018-2019 Stinger Staff. She is a RHS Senior and is involved in National Honor Society and National Technical Honor Society. Outside of school she enjoys binge watching Netflix series, eating way too much Chick-fil-a, and attending football games. Her favorite color is blue, over-sized t-shirts are her weakness,...