Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Catherine Coronado, Editor-in-Chief

It’s a common misconception among adults that teenagers want everything online, even schoolwork. This misconception has infringed on our learning here at RHS, and it’s clear that most students aren’t happy with the sudden push for online work.

Computer-based assignments can be seriously frustrating, especially at school. Although school WiFi definitely keeps us from seeing the undesirable side of the internet, it also can block pages that are needed for schoolwork.

Personally, I was working on a visual project for a class and found that almost every single picture I needed to add to the presentation was blocked, even if it showed up on the search and was completely harmless. Such problems can be extremely detrimental to our learning at students.

LttEOnline assignments are dreaded by most every person I know. Many science and math classes require online homework, and the difference between passing and failing can come to the placement of a comma or even the number of significant figures (even if they aren’t really that significant).

Websites like UT Quest or Onramps can make grades plummet, because you can’t  get partial credit for answers online.

So while a student may grasp the concept and get a correct answer, if they don’t input their response the exact way the website intends, they can miss the entire problem entirely.

Being expected to go home and check homework and notes on websites or complete entire assignments online can be problematic for students that don’t have access to the internet at home or students who can’t focus while working online.

There are many distractions on the internet, especially with the abundance of social media use and outlets to spend hours wasting time (*cough* Buzzfeed *cough*).

In all seriousness, the press for work online at home spells disaster. Students have a hard enough time focusing on paper homework, and paper homework doesn’t have a new tab option.

Although administration may see online work as a good way to immerse students into their learning, for many it is extremely problematic. How do you feel about the sudden influx of online work? Tell us by voting below.

What do you think about online school work?

View Results

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Push for online schoolwork unwanted”

1. Mrs. Akard on September 23rd, 2016 12:26 pm

If the goal of higher level math and science classes is to prepare students for college math, online work is necessary. Homework assignments are completed online and submitted to professors digitally at most 4-year Universities, especially math and science classes. Many classes use online platforms for testing, as well. Students that have the opportunity to learn from this experience before they enter college are fortunate to have the privilege to attend high school in a district that is willing to invest in technology to provide them with the best preparation available.

[Reply]

Clay Taylor Reply:

I agree with Mrs. Akard,
    My math class is 90% online. I do not like it, of course, but that is what college is all about. Having it in high school is great because it will better prepare you for college. I wish it wasn’t a thing, but it is.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

How to stay sane over the holidays

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Clubs and Organizations

Project LIFE helps special needs students at RHS secure jobs

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

Ten things only tried and true Jackets will understand

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

Quiz: How well do you know Dr. Gober?

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

Homecoming Proposals

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

An Open Letter to Freshmen

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

Five for Friday: 5/13

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

Five For Friday: 5/6

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

Five for Friday: April 8

• Push for online schoolwork unwanted

Jacket Buzz

Five for Friday: April Fools Day