Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

An Open Letter to Freshmen

Catherine Coronado, Editor-in-Chief

To start off, I would like to apologize in advance for all the times you will hear “Ugh…Freshmen,” within your first year in high school. It’s kind of the worst, but it definitely can be avoided on your part. If you do your best to act like you’re not a freshman, you probably won’t be verbally assaulted by kids two or three years your senior. Here are a few tips to make your high school experience better for you, and bearable for us upperclassmen.

1. Learn how to walk in the hallways

Okay, this is seriously not that hard. Always keep to your right and do your best to walk at a decent pace. I’m not telling you to run to your classes, because the worst thing in the world is when a barely pubescent kid sprints past you and leaves behind only the faint smell of Axe body spray. On the other hand, if you’re walking just about as slow as Christmas, you’re probably annoying everyone who had the displeasure to walk behind you. Another important note: Do not stop walking in the middle of the hallways to talk. Walking and talking is a very valuble trait to have, folks. In short, walk at a normal pace, and don’t stop walking once you start.

2. Don’t slack in your classes

If you aren’t focusing on your classes, you can’t expect to actually enjoy your year. Would you rather spend your year coming into school early and staying late for makeups, or work a little harder and have to spend less time actually at RHS? I mean, for me it’s a no brainer, but if you like school that much then you do you, I guess. Take it from someone who knows, getting behind on your work is not fun, and makes classes super hard.

3. Participate in spirit weeks

I don’t care if seeing the color orange emotionally triggers you and makes you think of when you used to wear an Annoying Orange shirt like every day. If we’re having a pep rally you better put your entire blood, sweat, and tears into making sure this school looks like it got blasted in cheeto dust. Homecoming is right around the corner, and that means spirit week is about to hit us hard, and participation is vital. If you don’t participate, you’ll be judged ten times more than the guy who wears a full body shark costume, because the shark costume guy clearly understands that the Jacket Fight Never Dies.

4. Quiet down

This is one of the main things that irritates upperclassmen. Yelling just gets obnoxious after a while, and maybe next year you’ll get it, but it’s just so exhausting to listen to yelling voices around you constantly. There is a fine line between being loud and being obnoxious, and although it might not be clear to you, it is very clear to everyone around you. So please, keep it down.

I reallly hope that you’ll take this advice to heart, because honest to goodness, this will improve your year tenfold. There’s probably a lot more that I could fill you in on, but you’ll have to learn them yourself. Congrats on becoming a jacket, and JFND!

1 Comment

One Response to “An Open Letter to Freshmen”

1. Jimmy on September 7th, 2016 9:35 pm

Helpful advice! Back in the Stone Age when I was a freshman, I tried to act like I knew what I was doing.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

How to stay sane over the holidays

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Clubs and Organizations

Project LIFE helps special needs students at RHS secure jobs

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

Ten things only tried and true Jackets will understand

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

Quiz: How well do you know Dr. Gober?

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

Homecoming Proposals

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

Push for online schoolwork unwanted

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

Five for Friday: 5/13

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

Five For Friday: 5/6

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

Five for Friday: April 8

• An Open Letter to Freshmen

Jacket Buzz

Five for Friday: April Fools Day