Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Captain America: Civil War Movie Review

Catherine Coronado, Features Editor

I’ll admit that I was both excited and skeptical when I first saw that the plot for the newest Captain America movie would be about the superhero Civil War. I was excited because the plot seemed so interesting; two teams of superheroes divided by conflicting ideals, a movie sure to leave fans wishing for simpler times and movies (I’m looking at you Avengers). I was skeptical because, well, Marvel doesn’t really own that many of the superheroes involved in the civil war storyline.

You can imagine that I wasn’t surprised when I saw the trailer. Six heroes on each side, fighting in what appeared to be an empty Costco parking lot. But the heroes weren’t fighting over the last bulk-sized box of rice krispy treats. No, they were fighting over the very thing that would determine their fates in the future. So this lead me to question: Why aren’t there more heroes involved in the conflict?

Honestly, I figured out why they didn’t introduce multitudes of characters pretty quickly. You can’t bring in tons of new characters and expect the audience to understand their story and ideals within a mere 147 minutes. It’s understandable that the people who made Civil War wouldn’t want to confuse audiences more than they needed to, especially with such a heavy storyline throughout the entire film. So when they introduced only 2 new important characters, I was pleased.

Speaking of new characters in the films, I should bring up a difficult topic; new Spiderman. Although Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield will forever live in our hearts, Tom Holland’s Spiderman has to be my favorite Spiderman thus far. The Spiderman in school is very accurately portrayed as a student. His original suit isn’t great, he has lots of homework, and he references The Empire Strikes Back in the middle of a fight scene. Another new character is T’Challa, the king of the fictional country Wakanda. He takes on the role of Black Panther, and spends the movie being two things; hardcore and vengeful. In 2017, we’ll get more of the new Spiderman in the upcoming movie Spiderman: Homecoming, and more of Black Panther in the 2018 film Black Panther. 

Although most of the advertising pushed #TeamIronMan or #TeamCap, the movie isn’t strictly about the disagreement between the two Avengers. The movie is also about the lengths to which Cap is willing to go to preserve his friendship with Bucky (who became the Winter Soldier). And though a good half of the movie is about the division in the Avengers, the motivation between the split in the heroes wasn’t quite as evident as I would have wanted. Instead of everyone on each team wholeheartedly standing for their beliefs, it seemed like they were just kind of like “Eh, this kind of seems right. I don’t know though.”

Other than the kind of weak disagreement, I felt the rest of the movie was great. The fight scenes were action-packed, the drama kept me on the edge of my seat. I left the theater wondering if it had managed to top Guardians of the Galaxy, the movie that I declared the actual best marvel movie after I saw it. In the end, I decided that it’s futile to try to rank all the marvel movies from best to worst, because if the films keep going on the rate they’re on I’ll have to replace the number one spot every time I leave the theatre.