Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody Clean Up

Samantha Sandoval, Graphic Editor

Thanks for clicking on this page. Thank you for clicking on this editorial, meant to address an issue to students. This issue has been addressed way too much. By reading the title it’s probably evident what the editorial is about: the lack of cleanliness RHS seems to have. It’s been complained about in the halls, among the class, and yes even our beloved leader Dr. Gober has told us over and over again how nasty we all are. How come we have to repeatedly talk about keeping our school clean as if it were such a difficult concept to grasp? Why can’t we pick up after ourselves in the cafeteria? Why must we deface property and abuse our commodes that we have to share with everyone? By the way, our rants on restrooms can also be found as it’s own article in the Opinions page.

The cafeteria is a safe haven and gathering place for all to enjoy their meals brought from home or prepared by the school. Those 35 minutes are meant for us to eat in order to have the energy to complain again, but we gotta ask, do you have to have food fights? There really is no reason to leave pizza boxes, wrappers and crumpled napkins at our tables, the janitors aren’t going to treat it like an offering. The cafeteria isn’t the only place trash seems to be found: the ground, in the halls, the stairs, the stairs next to the stairs and even right next to a trash bin cause some people like to turn it into a sport. It’s trash, and trash belongs in the trash bin. We’re old enough to grasp this. Yes, even you 9th grade fishes know this, and frankly it stinks. C’mon people, it’s not that hard. Pick up after yourselves, the janitors are here to clean the school not pick up after messes you deliberately leave behind. They’re not your maids.

You smart alecks are probably thinking, why should I pick up after myself? Well, as you heard Dr. Gober say that our cleanliness will determine if we have Jacket Feast or not. Most likely it won’t stop there. Word is we’re going to have a new open lunch policy in the future, where we can leave campus and be back within the lunch period and other lovely freedoms. But if our students continue to be incompetent enough to clean their own messes, we’ll be deemed unworthy for these things just because of other people’s negligence. It only takes one person to ruin it for everybody.