Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Five for Friday: April 8

Stinger Staff

Been out of the loop this week? Don’t stress, we’ve got you covered.

1. Dalton Rapattoni comes in third on final season of American Idol

Many fans were disappointed to find that Dalton Rapattoni, a fellow Texan, didn’t make the cut for the final two on American Idol. Although he didn’t win the singing competition, he is honored to have made a spot in the top ten, and is happy for fellow contestant La’Porsha Renae and Idol winner Trent Harmon. He says a new album is in the works, so if you’re a fan be sure to keep an eye out.

2. Kesha’s claims dismissed by Judge Shirley Kornreich

After months of keeping up with Kesha’s court case against her manager, Dr Luke, and Sony, Kesha has had another major loss. Judge Shirley Kornreich dismissed the singer’s claims against Dr Luke, and said that even if Kesha had been raped, it can’t be classified as a hate crime, and Kesha’s claims of emotional abuse do not fit the legal definition.

3. Villanova beats UNC in buzzer-beater

In an intensely close game between Villanova and North Carolina, the game winning shot was made with 4.7 seconds left. Kris Jenkins was the one to make the three pointer, which claimed victory for Villanova and sent the team to the championships. Their game against Oklahoma gave them the second-best shooting performance in in Final Four history, and the team that claims the top spot just so happens to be the 1985 Villanova team. Will Villanova be the team to win March Madness?

4. Lady Jackets win sweet 16 playoff game

The Rockwall Lady Jacket Soccer team is headed to the Elite Eight after winning this morning’s game against Westwood. After a nail biting first half with no goals, junior Katie Givens tied the game at 1-1 just 30 seconds into the second half. Sophomore Lauren Baker scored the second goal of the half, winning the game. The girls are headed to Austin tomorrow to continue in the playoffs as one of the eight remaining teams in the state. The game starts at 11 tomorrow morning; head down to Austin to support your Rockwall Lady Jackets.

2. Boys and girls gymnastics qualifies for state meet

The Rockwall boys and girls gymnastics teams qualified for the state meet after their regional meet at Heath earlier this week. The boys team came in first place out of six schools, with a final team score of 325.7. The boys did a phenomenal job: senior Adam Alford came in third all-around, Mckay Larman came in fifth all-around, and Jake Hodges came in eighth all-around. This is the eighth straight district win for the boys team. The girls team came in third place out of five schools competing, just one-quarter of a point behind second place Highland Park. The girls did very well: Kennedy Shelton came in second place all-around, and Katie Weidman came in sixth place. Both teams are headed to the State Championship in three weeks.