The Stinger

Five For Friday: March 18th

Sarah Karda, Editor In Chief

Here is what The Stinger staff feels are the top five things you need to know about this week. Consider this your Sparknotes for the week of the Ides of March.

1. SeaWorld to stop breeding captive orca whales and orca shows, partners with Human Society

On Thursday, the chief operators of the declining theme park SeaWorld announced that they will immediately cease the breeding of killer whales in captivity. They also stated they will phase out orca theatrical shows at their parks as the captive whales grow old. Shows will end at their San Diego location in 2017, with the Orlando and San Antonio parks ending by 2019. SeaWorld has also partnered with the Humane Society of the United States to insure the park’s stepping in the right direction.

2. Mother Teresa to be named a Saint on September 4

Mother Teresa, the nun who dedicated her life to helping India’s poor, will become a saint September 4, Pope Francis announced Tuesday. Mother Teresa won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979. Pope Francis announced in December that Mother Teresa would be declared a saint after acknowledging the miracles attributed to her: the healing of a Brazilian man with brain tumors after loved ones prayed to her; a woman in Kolkata said she was cured of a stomach tumor after praying to Mother Teresa. She will be made a saint on the eve of the anniversary of her death, September 5.

3. March Madness begins March 17

ESPN’s Tournament Challenge app is here to help you keep track of both your brackets and the winners of the tourney. Fill out your 2016 bracket ASAP to be a part of the action.

4. Bachelor Ben Higgins proposes to Flight Attendant Lauren B.

After telling the final two contestants he loved them, Bachelor Ben Higgins turns down Jojo, a Dallas native, in favor of Lauren B. the traveling flight attendant. This was a shocking finale to viewers who were rooting for their Texas Treasure. Jojo will continue her search for love on The Bachelorette next season on ABC.

5. Book Club Cafe opens March 14

Book Club CafeThis new trendy coffee shop opened this past Monday on Kaufman Street in downtown Rockwall. They will be serving organic food and drinks, along with pastries made in house. The cafe will have live music with local performers. They are open Sun-Tues 8-5, closed Wed, and open Thurs-Sat 8-10. If you miss the LifeHouse, Book Club Cafe is your next favorite coffee shop.

About the Writer
Sarah Karda, Editor In Chief

Sarah Karda is the Editor In Chief of The Stinger and is currently a senior at Rockwall High School. She enjoys reading adventure packed novels and watching certified “chick flicks” in her spare time. Her heart belongs in places she’ll see one day, while her mind is preoccupied with how to crop Principal Dr. Gober’s face onto various cat photos. She prefers Chipotle to Chiloso and cats to dogs. Sarah is involved in technical theater where you’ll find her in all black wielding an array of makeup brushes and wands. She identifies as a mermaid, but is also okay with being called any term of endearment. Sarah’s favorite movies are any 80’s dance movie and she is in a committed relationship with macaroni and cheese. She is currently obsessed with the band WALK THE MOON because they’re from her hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio. Sarah has won second in the Lonestar Journalism Writing Contest and Bronze in the News Reporting category from The Dallas Morning News, and has attended UIL regionals for headline writing. She also enjoys taking pictures at any and all sports events, so remember to always be smiling.