Serving Rockwall High School and the Community of Rockwall, Texas

The Stinger

Rockwall AcDec’s Record-Setting Season Comes to an End

The Rockwall High School Academic Decathlon team competed in the State Finals last weekend in Irving against some of the top-scoring teams in the nation.

Throughout the weekend, Rockwall, Coppell, and Highland Park took turns in the lead.

Going into the final event, the three teams were separated by a mere 30 points, but in the end the Jackets finished third in one of the closest finals in Texas AcDec history. Though it was a heartbreaking finish, the Jackets set a new school record with an overall score of 52,174.4 points.

Beyond the third place overall finish, the team took home first place in the Super Quiz and several team members excelled individually.

Senior Wesley Scivetti medaled in six of the ten events, posting a perfect 1000 in three of them. He finished with the best overall point total in the state with a score of 9,444.3, which makes him the all-time highest scorer in Texas AcDec history.

Team members rally around Wesley Scivetti, who set a new Texas AcDec record in scoring.

Rachel Shafer (Senior) posted the 2nd highest Scholastic score in the state this year and took home three individual medals.

Fellow senior Samuel Warren finished 4th in the state in the Scholastic division and earned two medals.

The team’s lone junior, Dan Scivetti, earned four medals while scoring the third highest Varsity score in the state, which is also new RHS record for Varsity division students.

Senior Tara McCoy earned four individual medals in the Honors division, finishing among Texas’ top ten individuals.

Cody Sachse (Senior, Honors) took home two individual medals while winning the highest-scoring essay score in Texas.

Grace Taiwo (Senior, Varsity) posted the 2nd highest interview score in the state.

Other students that contributed to the team’s outstanding season and third place finish are seniors Amber Nguyen and Alexander Rohrig.

Coaches Marian Hinton and Lucas Beville couldn’t say enough things about this group of kids.

“People don’t see how much effort our kids put into AcDec. By choice, they stayed late every day after school, moved to the Rockwall library when we kicked them out, studied at the park, Starbucks, team member’s houses…you name it,” stated Hinton.

“As a coach, it’s hard to see their season come to an end sooner than we’d hoped, especially in such a dramatic fashion, but hopefully they will soon be able to look back on everything they were able to accomplish this year. They were truly amazing.”

I’d rather finish third with this team than win with any other.”

— Wesley Scivetti

Adding to that, Beville said, “These kids have been working everyday since the end of last school year and have a lot to be proud of, including the fact that they achieved the best team score in Rockwall Academic Decathlon history.”

Over the course of the year, the team has become a family. Evidence of that came when many members of the team were disappointed they weren’t moving on–not for themselves–mostly for Wesley, who is one of the nation’s highest-scoring AcDec participants of all-time.

Wesley simply responded, “I’d rather finish third with this team than win with any other.”

Though several of the students will qualify to compete in Nationals individually, many are uncertain as to whether or not to do so because they’d rather compete as a team.

Though the season didn’t end with a state title and a trip to Nationals in Alaska, this team did an amazing job over the course of the year. Whether some of the team members will continue competing as individuals has yet to be decided, but either way, their accomplishments–both team and individual–are worthy of high praise.