Former Rockwall student breaks college records

Former Yellowjacket Chris Warren III sprints his way into Texas record books

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rockwall alumni Chris Warren III (UT Austin) made his nation-wide, starting debut on Thurs. Nov. 26 during the UT – Texas Tech game. Warren had made a handful of appearances on the field for Texas previously (18 carries this season), but Thurs. was his first collegiate start.

It was also the night he rushed for 276 yards and four touchdowns on only 25 carries in a performance that earned the true freshman Big XII Offensive Player of the Week honors.

Warren boasted the sixth-best rushing performance in the history of The University of Texas football program. He also broke the freshman single-game rushing record, previously set in 2001 by Cedric Benson (213 yards on 28 carries versus Kansas).

In an interview with 247Sports.com, Warren remained humble despite his recent lime light.

I was just doing what I was coached to do. I’ve been ready all season, I’ve just been waiting my turn. That’s how it is as a freshman. You know you’re behind and you’ve got to work your way up.

Warren also broke the record for longest run by a freshman, and the same run is the fourth longest in the history of Longhorn football. On this 91-yard run, he broke six tackles as he rushed his way into the end zone.

FoxSports

The Lornhorns will face Baylor for their season finale on Sat. Dec. 5 at McLane Stadium in Waco. Although Texas will likely not be appearing in a post-season bowl game this year, Longhorns everywhere are hopeful for next season after seeing Warren’s performance this last week.