After rough start, Jackets Roll Through District Undefeated

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drew Gladney, Guest Contributor

The Rockwall High School Yellowjackets have been crowned back-to-back, undefeated district champions. With an overall record of 7-3, they now set their sights on trying to go deep in the playoffs; however, it didn’t look like that would be a concern at the start of the season.

At the beginning of the years, the Jackets struggled early, going 0-3 in their first three games. The losses came against very good teams: Denton Ryan, Euless Trinity, and Mesquite Horn. In fact, Euless Trinity also defeated the number one team in the nation in De La Salle, so the competition was no doubt stiff. Regardless, people didn’t expect a poor start to the season because of Jackets’ 10-1 record last year.

After Rockwall’s third (and what would be their final) regular season loss, they ended up winning their next seven games.

Quarterback Will Reed, running back Caleb Broach, and receiver Sam Crawford all had phenomenal seasons and will now lead the team into the playoffs.

The Yellowjackets have shown great resilience this season and proved the early doubters wrong by winning back-to-back, undefeated district titles for the first time in 42 years.

They look to continue their success in the first playoff game which will be held this Friday, Nov. 13 at Wilkerson Sanders Stadium against Copperas Cove.